- About Fetchlight
- About Jen, the business owner
- How Fetchlight gives back to the pet community
- What people are saying about Fetchlight
- Press and Awards featuring Fetchlight
Fetchlight was founded by Jen Bergren, and from 2011-2016 Fetchlight created colorful, modern, lifestyle photography of pets and turned it into custom, ready-to-hang wall art for their homes. In 2017, Fetchlight is offering photo sessions only to people redeeming session gift cards, but will continue to sell art to past clients and to dog and cat lovers everywhere. Fetchlight now focuses on the San Diego dog blog and focuses on services to media and pet businesses, such as commercial pet photography, editorial pet photography, stock photography of dogs and cats, and pet marketing consulting.
Where did the name “Fetchlight” come from?
During the Passport Pet Photography Workshop in 2011, I was doodling business name ideas including variations using “fetch” and the teacher mentioned to always have catchlights in the pets’ eyes. Catchlights are the reflections of light sources that make eyes sparkle and look alive. Fetch + catchlight = Fetchlight! (It helps that my Midwestern accent rhymes catch and fetch.)
What is that orange thing above the logo?
Fetchlight’s logo icon is an abstract version of my orange dog Tawny, who is also the inspiration behind orange as the main color of the brand. Read about Tawny in this blog post! Follow her adventures on Instagram by searching #tawnyfoxdog.
About Jen Bergren, Owner of Fetchlight
I was taking photography classes from UCSD at night while working as an advertising graphic designer at Petco’s corporate office during the day, when suddenly these two interests combined and I started photographing pets for Petco!
While shooting for Petco in 2011, I attended the 3-full-day Passport Pet Photography Workshop taught by two fantastic pet photographers: Jamie Pflughoeft of Cowbelly Pet Photography, and J. Nichole Smith of dane + dane studios. It was amazing and life changing, giving me the idea and tools to start my own business!
Shortly afterwards, I left Petco to have more time to concentrate on starting Fetchlight, and more time for my other career in magazine design. I work from home, which gives me the flexibility to run a second business and gives me more time to hang out with my crazy orange foxy dog, Tawny, who I adopted from Aussie Rescue at the end of 2011. Yes, I started a pet photography business before having a pet of my own, that is pretty unique!
After running Fetchlight for 5 years, I realized that online marketing is my favorite part of my business, so I started an MBA program in digital marketing and am shifting Fetchlight’s services to focus on helping pet businesses.
A few more quick facts: Grew up in the Illinois countryside. Had a passion for art and learning for as long as I can remember. Moved to New York City ASAP, or, rather, after graduating college in Indiana and saving enough money to survive. Moved to San Diego without visiting first. Super tall (seriously). Loves magazines. Hates cold weather. (also loves parentheses. and exclamation points!)
Helping pets in need is a cause that I love to support! Here are a few of the ways I have given back to the pet community.
- Over the years when photography for pet parents was my main service, I donated over $20,000 in gift certificates to pet charity fundraisers, such as San Diego Humane Society’s Fur Ball.
- I’ve photographed hundreds of adoptable dogs for Aussie Rescue San Diego & Friends.
- I’ve donated my design services to Aussie Rescue including creating print marketing materials and creating their website.
- I photographed adoptable pets for CoronadoCARES and volunteered with their cat socialization program for a year.
- I am a member of HeArts Speak, a fabulous organization of artists helping animals.
What People Are Saying About Their Experience Hiring Fetchlight:
“Jen comes highly recommended to help pet-related businesses as she has helped me. She has been working with me for over a year assisting with media and marketing for my business, including improving my website both in appearance and functionality, helping with social media, occasional email newsletter marketing, editing my in-progress book and articles for publications as well as blogs, letter writing, and more. Her writing and editing skills are exceptional. She is knowledgeable about the local pet industry and general business/entrepreneur acumen. Her work ethic, efficiency, and problem solving skills are impressive as well as her amiable disposition make “Jen a gem” as an employee! I look forward to continuing to work with her part time. Feel free to contact me personally should you wish.” – Linda Michaels, M.A., Psychology, Del Mar Dog Training
Press, Awards, Achievements:
- 2016 Fetchlight Party a Fundraising Success
- Modern Cat magazine cover photo Summer 2015
- Pound for Pound book cover by Shannon Kopp, published by HarperCollins 2015
- Press coverage of 2015 Fetchlight Party
- Featured multiple times on Pretty Fluffy
- Interview on Choosing a Pet Photographer
- San Diego A List BEST Pet Photography Top 3 for two years the list existed
- Featured in Best Friends Animal Society magazine
- Featured on Hair of the Dog
- Featured in Paws for Charity books
- Member of HeARTS Speak
- Member of working with dog
- Graduate of Pet Photography Profit 3 month Bootcamp
- Attended Passport Pet Photography 3 day workshop
- UCSD certificate degree in photography